Dog Control Officer
Phone: (716) 572-3896 or (716) 795-9556
Assistant Dog Control Officer
Phone: (716) 289-7126 or (716) 795-9687
The Dog Control Officer is responsible for enforcing all Village and Town Codes as it pertains to safety, ownership, licensing, and behavior of dogs.
***Please note that there are different codes governing dog control in the Village of Barker and the Town of Somerset***
Village Code States...
Love Me- License Me
New York State Law requires all dogs over the age of four (4) months to be licensed. You can license your dog at the Town Clerk's Office during normal business hours (9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday).
A copy of a valid rabies certificate for the dog to be licensed is required at the time of license purchase, as well as a spay/neuter certificate.
New York State Law and Town Law requires all dogs be properly identified with a valid license tag. You receive this
when you license your dog for the first time. If lost, a new tag can be purchased from the Town Clerk.
Village of Barker Police Department Phone: (716) 795-3207
A Few Notes from the Dog Control Officer
- Take care of your pets. License them and make sure there tags are on them. Clean up after them. It makes friends and neighbors less likely to become upset with you or your pet.
- If your dog is a barker do everything in your power to make sure he/she does not disturb the people around you. Barking collars and training classes are available. Start them at a young age.
- All animal bites must be reported to the Dog Control Officer or the Village of Barker Police Department.
- If your pet gets into a fight with a wild animal, report it immediately. Your safety along with your pet's safety could be at risk.
- Please remember, Dog Control Officers are here to uphold all laws pertaining to dogs. Please feel free to call with any questions that you might have. If we cannot answer something, we can point you in the right direction.