Dog Control Officer
Phone: (716) 572-3896
Assistant Dog Control Officer
The Dog Control Officer is responsible for enforcing all Village and Town Codes as it pertains to safety, ownership, licensing, and behavior of dogs.
***Please note that there are different codes governing dog control in the Village of Barker and the Town of Somerset***
Village Code enforceable by the Dog Control Officer states...
Barking Dogs fall under a Village noise ordinance violation and should be reported to Town of Somerset Police Department or the NC Sherriff's department for enforcement. Village Code Chapter 146-2C states: "No owner or any other person harboring or having custody or control of any dog in the Village shall permit or allow such dog to engage in habitual or continuous loud howling, barking, crying or whining or conduct itself in such manner so as to unreasonably disturb the comfort or repose of any person off the premises where the dog is harbored, or the owner resides"
Love Me- License Me
New York State Law requires all dogs over the age of four (4) months to be licensed. You can license your dog at the Town Clerk's Office during normal business hours (9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday).
A copy of a valid rabies certificate for the dog to be licensed is required at the time of license purchase, as well as a spay/neuter certificate.
New York State Law and Town Law requires all dogs be properly identified with a valid license tag. You receive this
when you license your dog for the first time. If lost, a new tag can be purchased from the Town Clerk.
A Few Notes from the Dog Control Officer
- Take care of your pets. License them and make sure there tags are on them. Clean up after them. It makes friends and neighbors less likely to become upset with you or your pet.
- If your dog is a barker do everything in your power to make sure he/she does not disturb the people around you. Barking collars and training classes are available. Start them at a young age.
- All animal bites must be reported to the Dog Control Officer or the Town of Somerset Police Department.
- If your pet gets into a fight with a wild animal, report it immediately. Your safety along with your pet's safety could be at risk.
- Please remember, Dog Control Officers are here to uphold all laws pertaining to dogs. Please feel free to call with any questions that you might have. If we cannot answer something, we can point you in the right direction.